Saturday, February 9, 2008

This week's auction promo...

While we didn't get as much listed this week as we wanted to, we did post several extra cool things, including the striped dishes I showed you several weeks ago! You know you loved those, you can't deny it... I let myself keep a yellow mug since it didn't have a mate, it earned a place on the shelf in my kitchen!

I also wanted to show you these:

They are Art Deco reverse painted picture frames! My dad actually scored these for me at an auction, from what I could find out in my research they are probably from the 30's, and are very collectible! Go Dad! (He is so cute when I sell something he found for me, he gets all shocked and happy, I swear if they had a computer he would be hooked on eBay just like I am...)

I also wanted to quote a couple paragraphs that I wrote about the eBay situation to my store newsletter subscribers:

"Honestly, I've spent a lot of time lately trying to keep up with the eBay news, and to look into the alternative venues that are being discussed on the boards and the blogs. The entire situation is so complicated! I keep dreaming about having a baby and it being in danger, dying, or dead. I'm assuming the baby represents my business - I always say I didn't have a kid, I had a business instead. ;)

There is good reason to be anxious - the changes they are making are big ones, and that kind of change is always difficult. I'm prepared to weather the storm, and I'm interested to see how things are going to go. Hopefully, once everything settles down, the marketplace really will change for the better - for both the sellers and our customers.

I am learning one lesson though, the same lesson that I think is hitting a lot of us sellers upside the head with a vengeance - don't put all of your eggs in one basket. I got the message, and I am figuring out a way to spread my inventory out more. I'll keep you all posted for sure!"

This is how I am feeling about things so far... how are the rest of you eBayers holding up?

2 comments:

Heidi Ann said...

I got such a kick out of your post about your Dad and the frames. I have been collecting frames like those for more than 20 years. They get harder and harder to find at good prices. Lucky you! Love 'em!!

amodernguy said...

Mitzi - Got your message and I understand your reasoning.

I am joining the eBay strike effective February 18th.

I just posted about it this evening.

Scary - but I don't see any other choice. I wish I shared your optimism that things will settle down and then improve. I just don't see it happening given the extreme nature of the policy changes.