Friday, December 7, 2012

Featured Collectible - Louisa May Alcott's Little Women

I love, love, love Little Women! I know I am not alone in this - the book is a true classic, as are the movies (yes, I love all of them too - even the Winona Ryder one!). I found a copy from 1922 at an estate sale a few months ago, sadly it was literally falling apart, but I was able to save some of the amazing full page color illustrations by artist Jessie Wilcox Smith:


I listed them in my Etsy shop the other day (7 pages total), and it got me to thinking about what all might be out there in the way of collectibles for fans of the books and movies. Turns out, there is quite a lot!

First of all are the books, of course. The original book was published in two parts, in 1868 and 1869. There is a listing right now on eBay for signed first editions of both parts, plus a first edition of Little Men - check out the asking price:


That would be a nice little something to stumble across at an estate sale someday! Of course there are TONS of later editions out there, so if you want a book there is probably one out there in your price range. (Or, you could collect illustrations from damaged books, like the ones I listed - they would be so sweet framed or kept in a scrapbook!)

This is the copy I had when I was a kid:


If I remember right it was abridged, I know when I read another edition later on there was stuff in it that I didn't remember. I haven't gone to see if my first copy is still hidden somewhere in my parent's house to compare the two though...


And then there are the movies... There are three full length feature films - the 1933 one with Katherine Hepburn, the 1949 one with June Allyson and Elizabeth Taylor (this one is probably my favorite, though I do like them all!), and the 1994 one with Winona Ryder. There are also several TV specials and series, so definitely plenty to watch if you need a Little Women fix!

Of course if you are a fan of the book and movies, you might be of the mind to score some Little Women collectibles - and there are TONS. I've been browsing around, seeing what all is out there, and there is NO way I could give an accurate representation of everything that is available in just one blog post. So, here's just a few favorites I stumbled across:


(I actually found and sold a set of these a few years ago, SO pretty!)








Little Women Movie 1934 Newspaper Advertisement

I think I might just have to have a Little Women movie marathon this weekend! :)

4 comments:

Jill said...

I loved "Little Women" too - I remember buying the book... The doll cards are so cute...

VintageDollCollector.com said...

There are TONS of Little Women dolls out there. Many of them are the same doll just with different clothes and hairstyles. But my favorites are a set of porcelain dolls by artist Lita Wilson. They are about 14" tall if I recall correctly, and each is different. They sort of resemble the actresses from the 1949 movie version, except that both Amy and Beth in this set resemble Elizabeth Taylor (not a bad thing!) Check out the photo: http://tinyurl.com/cfa9wql

Mitzi - Vintage Goodness said...

Wow those dolls are great! I saw mostly Madame Alexander ones besides the ones I included in the post, but not those, thanks for posting them :)

Ashley said...

I love, love, love this post!