Thursday, October 2, 2008

I found some vintage roller skates - and I'm still in one piece!

A couple of weeks ago I found a box full of vintage roller skates at a sale, and I just had to bring them home! Only 2 pairs were worth saving, unfortunately...

I lived on my skates when I was a kid - either skating at the neighborhood roller rink (remember couples skate?), around my grandparents' basement, or up the street from their house for ice cream... It's been YEARS since I put on a pair though, and I probably wouldn't have even tried these awesome Roller Derby skates on, but I needed to determine the size.

I pulled them on and, of course, they fit like a glove. Why is it always like that? I was all ready to list them, and the next thing you know Will is pulling me down the hill of our driveway so I could skate around the cul-de-sac. It took me a few minutes to get the feel of them, but eventually I felt comfortable enough to head up the street and try to pick up some speed.

On my way back I saw Will coming out the door with his old skateboard in his hands. The race was on - I was woefully disadvantaged of course, he did circles around me... But it was so much fun! And neither of us fell and hurt ourselves, which is a bonus.

So, the skates are still here, not listed. I think I will put them on a few more times before I decide if I want to list them or not... The other pair I saved is up for auction now though (they are too small for me!):

They are 1970's Nash Cruisers tennis shoe style skates - a Women's size 6, in case you are interested. Here's a helpful link if you need to find a roller rink near you. ;)

10 comments:

Cape Ann Auction said...

Oh wow! See that top pair? I had a pair in black, with the world famous Chicago wheels! I went rollerskating almost every weekend at Bobby's Roll-a-way.

Man, that brings up some great memories!
Thanks for the fun post.

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Man, I wish you hadn't brought up the topic of skates. You see, I still have my Mom's pair (with wooden wheels) from the 60's. I used to skate back in 79-80 and it's been difficult to think about getting rid of Mom's skates.

And, just when I was about to get rid of them...here you come along *grin* showing me what a cool thing I have.

Dang. I suppose I could put em on a shelf in memory.
DanaMc

Green Mountain Goddess said...

such a cool blog! I am a vintage geek too. However, I am looking for a pair of vintage roller skates for a Halloween costume. (yes, I may end up in the ER). Does anyone have any suggestions of an online store where I might be able to find some? I know ebay has a few pairs, but I am not sure that I could bet, win, and still have them shipped to me in time. Thoughts? thanks.

Mitzi - Vintage Goodness said...

Hi Rachel, did you Google it? If anyone has any somewhere off eBay Google should bring them up... good luck!

Anonymous said...

i wear a size 7 1/2 - do you think those would fit? i would love to buy them off of you if you think they would fit - also for a Halloween costume.

Thanks,
B

Anonymous said...

Were their any metal skates in the box? I've been lokking for metal skates for my skate collection.

Susannah: artist of many mediums said...

Does anyone know how vintage METAL skates work with the leather strap and the metal tabs on each side. I have a pair, but they're not staying on!

Anonymous said...

Wauw is it possible to use your blue skates for a fashionshoot in the netherlands?

Y.S aka Young Smasha said...

I was just wondering does any of you all have a any vintage Phenolic(fiber glass) wheels for sale.....

Red said...

I am looking to purchase a pair of vintage tennis shoe roller skates. I had a pair when I was younger but ended up getting rid of them and regretting it ever since. Ironic thing is I wear a size 6!!! Are yours for sale???