Friday, February 26, 2010

Vintage NINTENDO STADIUM EVENTS Video Game - Um, WOW.

A few weeks ago I saw a story about a lady who sold a vintage NES system and a few games on eBay for over $13,000 - all because there was one game in the lot that is arguably the rarest Nintendo game ever made, from 1987 - the NTSC version of Family Fun Fitness Stadium Events. From Wikipedia:

"Only 2000 copies are believed to have been produced, of which it is estimated that 200 copies reached consumers before being recalled. Today, collectors who follow the online sale of rare video games believe that fewer than 20 complete copies of the game exist, few of which are factory sealed."

So, a lady in Kansas sees the press for this super score, and decides to dig through her family's collection of 175+ games to see if she has a copy of Stadium Events. She does:

"The factory seal is complete and there are no holes in the plastic.

This was bought over 20 years ago so my memories are fuzzy. What I remember is that we bought it thinking that we could play it by itself and then realized that we needed the pad (?). Somewhere in there it was recalled so the pads weren't available when we went to purchase it. We never got around to returning the game... lucky us!

I am selling because I didn't think I had anything of value. Then I saw that one lady sell her system and games for what she did. Upon checking the boxes that had sat in my basement for nearly 20 years, I hit gold!"

She seriously hit gold, people. There is only one other known factory sealed game out there, so this is the rarest of the already super rare... Click on over and check out what the current bid is - with 13 hours to go as I write this. Holy cow. I can't wait to see where it ends up!

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David said...

I really liked your post and inspired me to make a comment about it on my blog
http://trashortreasure.wordpress.com/
Cheers